List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Support "registerProtocolHandler" in WebKit2
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2015-05-22 3:26:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> On May 21, 2015, at 7:38 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Anders Carlsson <andersca@apple.com> wrote:
> > Sam Weinig 2015-05-15 10:12:54 PDT:
> > > Support for navigator.registerProtocolHandler/unregisterProtocolHandler is not \
> > > something we want to support in WebKit2 at this time as we are not confident it \
> > > is a good Web API. This might be a good conversation for webkit-dev.
> >
> > I agree with Sam.
>
> So what else should web-based email or IRC clients or some such use to
> integrate with sites that offer mailto and irc URLs? Especially for
> email it seems like a worthwhile thing to solve. And that there's no
> cross-browser way to do it in 2015 is somewhat of a shame.

I think it's useful to have an API for the "mailto" use case. A lot of people use \
webmail as their default mail client, and it seems nice to make mailto: links do the \
right thing for them. We do allow changing the default Mail reader to a native app, \
at least on Mac. I would almost consider having navigator.registerProtocolHandler \
just for that use case.

On the face of it, the registerProtocolHandler API seems more general than necessary, \
but the actual spec for it has a whitelist of specific schemes, most of which seem \
reasonable for this kind of purpose: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#custom-handlers \
<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#custom-handlers>

I am curious what Sam and Anders dislike about this API, and whether it might be \
something we'd want to support at least with a more restricted set of schemes.

(I am more dubious of the content handler aspect.)

Regards,
Maciej