List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Changes in QtWebKit development
From:       Oliver Hunt <oliver () apple ! com>
Date:       2013-10-01 18:02:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Oct 1, 2013, at 12:50 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> wrote:

> On Monday 30 September 2013, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> > On Sep 30, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> wrote:
> > > Some of this is exactly the reason we want to keep Qt WebKit alive. It
> > > may never be possible to fully replace Qt WebKit with anything
> > > Blink/Chromium based.
> >
> > I really don’t understand this, there are only two options:
> > 1. Qt Webkit is critical to you and you want to support and maintain it,
> > and do all the work necessary for that; or 2. Qt WebKit is not critical,
> > and so you could simply branch and have a permanent stable release
> > platform similar to what the S60 port did years ago.
> >
> > Currently you seem to be arguing for a third option, wherein all of the
> > WebKit developers need to deal with your port, and be hamstrung by the
> > numerous invasive Qt-isms scattered throughout the codebase, for a port
> > that isn’t considered critical to its own platform.
> >
> Actually I am arguing we should get rid of most of the invasive Qt'ism unless
> they are really required for Qt WebKit to even work. Many of them were only
> necessary due to having to support so many platforms. With a more narrow focus
> we can hopefully get rid of 90% of the burden. If it turns out not to be
> possible in the end, we can always leave after having helped as far as we
> could.

But why should webkit have _any_ burden when Qt itself cares so little about QtWebKit \
that it is happy to have qtisms that were ostensibly necessary for performance, etc \
removed?

My reading of that is that you are more willing to have the quality of QtWebKit \
deteriorate than to simply fork off a final high quality stable branch.

I don’t believe WebKit should be taking _any_ burden for a port that is primarily \
focused on a completely separate fork in an unrelated tree.

So could you please say whether the QtWebKit plan going forward is option 1 or option \
2.

—Oliver