List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Changes in QtWebKit development
From:       Dirk Schulze <krit () webkit ! org>
Date:       2013-09-30 13:38:58

On Sep 30, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> wrot=
e:

> On Thursday 26 September 2013, Andreas Kling wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> =

> wrote:
>>> =

>>> =

>>> We do have a  branch tagged and being prepared for 5.2. It was taken
>>> before the FTL merge and the following switch to require C++11 in all of
>>> the project. It will be very hard branch again after that point since we
>>> support 2-3 year old platforms by default, and the Webkit project want
>>> to move to using the latest and greatest compilers.
>> =

>> So you are saying that you'll never branch QtWebKit from WebKit trunk
>> again?
>> =

> =

> I would love to, but I do not think it is going to happen. Quite honestly=
 I =

> wasn't sure I would be able to pull a new branch for 5.2 off, since older =

> Linux (gcc 4.4), all windows builds and especially old OS X (10.6) were n=
ot =

> building WebKit2 when I started. I got it working, but it the work to unr=
oll =

> unnecessary compiler features and library dependencies is just going to g=
et =

> harder from now on (if anyone want a patch to remove the C++11 requiremen=
t =

> from WebKit2 late July, I have one).  If a new branch is made from WebKit =

> trunk in the future would likely only be limited to specific platforms, a=
nd =

> therefore not suited as a module shipped with Qt, but as an optional upgr=
ade.
> =

>> It=92s commendable that you want to land your platform-agnostic patches
>> before withdrawing from the project, but assuming your last branch point
>> is already set, I don=92t see why this necessitates keeping the Qt platf=
orm
>> code around.
>> =

> =

> We all know what happens when a webkit port works on a branch. In theory =
it =

> shouldn't be a problem, but as you know it didn't work for the N9 browser =

> branch in Nokia, it didn't even work for the iOS branch at Apple!
> =

> So based on observations, I believe to be part of the project and able to =

> commit upstream you must live upstream.

I would not necessarily disagree with the problem of upstreaming work. But =
you said that most likely you wouldn't be able to branch WebKit anymore bec=
ause of the compiler requirement.  At least for Qt. Do you have other inter=
ests in QtWebKit beside the integral part of Qt so that it makes sense for =
you to maintain the port further?

Another question that is just partly related to WebKit but more curiosity. =
 Qt is deep integration into WebKit. We have (had?) a lot of Qt specific co=
de in core WebCore to support QtXML and other things. Blink already stated =
that they would not accept such deep interventions in their platform. Is al=
l that not important for you anymore? Can you operate with libxml2 and othe=
r libraries from now on? If that is the case, can't we limit the Qt specifi=
c code to just /platform/qt and remove all other Qt specific dependencies f=
rom WebCore?

Greetings,
Dirk