List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] pointer events specification - first editors draft
From:       Benjamin Poulain <benjamin () webkit ! org>
Date:       2012-11-29 23:02:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Adam Barth <abarth@webkit.org> wrote:

> > I would prefer WebKit to be wise and wait for either good use cases, or a
> > better spec.
>
> In my view, the wise course of action is for all user agents to
> implement an interoperable set of input events so that authors don't
> need to have separate code paths for different user agents.  As far as
> I can tell, the only candidate for those events are pointer events.  I
> asked you before if you knew of any other paths to interoperability
> and you didn't respond.

I did not respond because that has nothing to do with my point. I
wholeheartedly agree interoperability is good.

What I am saying is no support is better than support for a bad ideas.
We have synchronous XHR due to compatibility. If synchronous XHR was
introduced today and I had a chance to prevent it, I would fight for it.

(Of course, that doesn't mean we should slavishly implement whatever
> Microsoft proposes.  That's why there's a working group in the W3C: to
> refine and improve the feature's design and specification.)

That is all I ask.

Benjamin