List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Starting implementation on W3C Filter Effects
From:       Dean Jackson <dino () apple ! com>
Date:       2011-10-25 4:02:30

On 22/09/2011, at 11:30 AM, Dean Jackson wrote:

> Dirk (known in these parts as krit) reminded me that I had not emailed webkit-dev \
> about the plans to start an implementation of W3C's new Filter Effects \
> specification.
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/publish/Filters.html
>
> The quick summary is that this exposes the 'filter' property from SVG to everything \
> in CSS, and adds some shorthands for common effects so people don't have to write \
> XML in order to do something like a blur or sepia effect. The spec has received a \
> fair amount of input from the CSS and SVG working groups, and particularly from \
> Apple, Google, Mozilla, Opera and Adobe.

A followup: we're going to start work on the CSS Shaders proposal [1] soon. Adobe \
have published their implementation which was specific to Chromium, and we'll be \
working with them to split it into small patches that can land in the coming weeks. A \
good introduction to the technology is [2].

This will be done behind the ENABLE_CSS_FILTERS macro, but also with the guards for \
ENABLE_WEBGL since the implementation (and security) requirements are so similar.

Dean

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/custom/index.html
[2] www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/css-shaders.html