List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] +R mode on #webkit IRC channel
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-19 9:54:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 ext Xan Lopez, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I woke up this morning to find #webkit set up with mode +R
> (http://docs.dal.net/docs/modes.html#2.17), so basically you can't
> speak unless you have your nick registered on freenode. Is this a new
> policy or just some error or temporary measure that someone forgot to
> disable? If it's the latter it would be good to go back to normality.

Yesterday morning someone flooded the channel with CTCP version request (or
something) that caused everyone to get rejected from the IRC servers due to
flooding. It was a rather effective DoS where the only way to stay on IRC
required leaving #webkit.

I personally don't mind nickserv registration as requirement.

Simon