List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Proposal for a new way to handle porting #ifdefs
From:       Peter Kasting <pkasting () google ! com>
Date:       2009-05-25 20:19:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> Now, the thing I _would_ like to change is to switch from pathless
> #includes to ones with relative paths -- but that's a totally different
> thread.
>

> That I definitely wouldn't like. It would make it much more painful to move
> files. What is the benefit? Maybe UI am missing something.

Massively decreased compile time.  We've measured and the time taken to
search the various #include paths is large.  Occasionally this pathless
solution can also cause issues when there are multiple headers with the same
name in the project (we ran into this a number of times over the course of
Chromium development).

On the Chromium side, we follow the Google style guide, which mandates paths
on #includes, and we've rearranged our entire source layout a number of
times.  It doesn't turn out to be a huge problem and the compile-speed
benefits are well worth it.

PK