List:       webappsec
Subject:    Re: HIPAA security requirements
From:       "Clint Bodungen" <clint () secureconsulting ! com>
Date:       2004-01-16 18:50:58

Matt, the biggest problem with the technical security-related portion of the
HIPAA regs is that almost everything IS implied.  It's still basically just
nothing more than a broad list of standard "best practices".  However, at
least they TRY to provide some procedural guidelines by referencing NIST.
These are the most current regulatory requirements, which includes NIST
quidelines referenced in the regs.

http://www.hipaadvisory.com/regs/finalsecurity/index.htm (It's a good HIPAA
site as a whole with plenty of information and links to other sources.)