List:       webappsec
Subject:    Re: Perl variable sanitization functions
From:       Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-08-29 21:43:55

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 14:33, Nigel Stepp wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2003, Tim Greer wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > I like what you guy's are doing, but I'm curious to know
> > if there isn't already a module existing that provides these checks?  If
> > not, it's great to see you guy's have the initiative to get some out
> > there! :-)
>
> I was thinking the same thing.  There probably are a lot of things out
> there (of various goodness levels).
>
> I think these are things that people end up making for themselves.  I
> have a library of functions that I made up, and use for all of my
> projects, but it never seemed difficult enough to require looking for
> already made versions, or to publish my own.
>
> Of course, the scary truth is that most people probably don't do it all.
> (!!)

Good point.  Basically, I just create filters or checks for the program
or script I'm working on, since it's not really any more work and I have
pieces of code I can reuse and slightly modify if needed, but I think a
module would be great for the people that don't know and don't care....
not that I'd care, but exploits on other people's scripts/programs
usually end up annoying us all (when someone spams through it or
whatever else).
--
Tim Greer <chatmaster@charter.net>