List:       web4lib
Subject:    Re: [WEB4LIB] Data Tracker Word vs Excel
From:       M Belvadi <mbelvadi () GMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2022-06-19 9:15:24

A bit late to the party, but I would add not only is Excel (or Google
Sheets) far superior than a Word table for this, but you should seriously
consider whether you can use tab-delimited (tsv) instead of comma-delimited
(csv) for your purposes later. In theory, csv should "protect" commas
within your data via the use of quote marks around each "column", but I
find so many problems with this so often that I now try to use tsv
exclusively for this kind of data. I've never heard of any case of having a
tab character in this kind of data.

As someone else mentioned, you should think about your use cases. You may
want to not only sort but perhaps also filter on your data, especially that
last column which appears to be a boolean y/n.
I'm working with our faculty union's membership list right now, and we have
lots of cases of values like that, that we then want to generate an email
"merge" for only a subset of the data, eg. only people who have a "no" in
particular columns, etc.

By the way, people's names are more than last name, first name. Most people
have a middle name or at least initial. You need to think about where you
want to put that, and again it depends on what you plan to do with the
data. For instance, if you plan to generate an email using a "merge"
script, and your template will start with: Dear {{first name}}, it might
look weird if it comes out as "Dear Susan B." if you put the middle initial
in the first name column.

Also consider if you have international students who come from cultures
where last name and first name are by American standards "backwards"
(India, a lot of east Asian countries).  That's why a lot of programs call
these "Family name" and "Given name" instead of first and last.

I'm doing ours in Google Sheets for many reasons including a much easier to
use scripting language for doing things like the mail merge - I found a
great free script someone else had already written - as well as a much
better "forms" (better data validation) that feeds responses into the
spreadsheet in its own tab, and then from there you can easily set up
formulas in other tabs (worksheets) to do things with that data using QUERY
and VLOOKUP. It depends on your use cases, but there's just so much more
power in spreadsheets than a Word doc for future use cases that you haven't
imagined yet.

I once heard someone explain that most people misunderstand
Excel/spreadsheets as being just a different kind of word processor,
whereas in fact it's more useful to think of spreadsheets as a programming
environment whose language syntax is based on a particular kind of data
structure (tables).  This conceptual model illuminates the significantly
greater power over your data that you'll have.

Melissa Belvadi
mbelvadi@gmail.com