List:       web4lib
Subject:    Re: [WEB4LIB] Equipment lending question
From:       Siciliano Luigi <Luigi.Siciliano () UNIBZ ! IT>
Date:       2016-12-02 11:58:33

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

The University Library of Bozen-Bolzano in Northern Italy has recently launched a new \
service for loaning cloudbooks to our students. Our IT Department takes care of it \
and figured an interesting system. The devices are actually cloudbook rather than \
real laptops since at startup the system looks for a recognized Campus wireless \
network and the user is asked to log in. Outside the campus, log in doesn't work and \
the cloudbook is basically useless. After log in, a VMWare client starts and the User \
can choose an Image, maintained by our IT Dept, with the Operating System (Windows) \
and some basic software installed (browser, office suite etc.) plus those required by \
instructors for specific labs. Files created and edited by the user must therefore be \
saved either in the student's profile in the cloud or on a pen drive.

Some features of this system are:

 ·         the cloudbooks does not have a ‘real' hard disk (just a small one for \
booting), nor a dvd reader and provides just 1 usb and 1 earphones plug. Each \
cloudbook is therefore cheap (less than 300 $) and not attractive as something that \
might be stolen and used or sold (we use currently Acer Aspire One Cloudbook \
AO1-431).

 ·         we lend the cloudbooks for one day and without their power cords. The \
batteries are supposed to last about 10 hours. When we get the cloudbooks back, we \
put them in dedicated closets. There they are plugged in and recharged.

 ·         everything is deleted at each login, since the user must load the Virtual \
Machine from scratch each time.

A limitation of the system is that, since a login to an Authentication system (LDAP \
in the past and now ADFS) is required, cloudbooks are available only for our enrolled \
students, regularly listed in our directory. External users of the Library, managed \
in our Integrated Library System, are for the time being excluded.

We started just a month ago so it's early to draw conclusions, but I thought that it \
was still worth sharing our limited experience in the list since the idea of using \
basic and battery powered cloudbooks seems promising and may perhaps mitigate many of \
the issues raised in the list (power cords stolen or damaged; laptops stolen etc.).

Best regards,

Luigi

---

Luigi Siciliano, PhD