List:       web4lib
Subject:    [WEB4LIB] ETextbooks Widely Used, But Banned In Some Classes
From:       "McKiernan, Gerard [LIB]" <gerrymck () IASTATE ! EDU>
Date:       2012-03-27 1:11:24

*** Apologies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings ***

Colleagues/

Students embrace the Technologies But ...

IMHO > Some Teachers Are Luddites [:-(]

/Gerry

[snip]

But in 2012 at Fresno State, not everybody is necessarily on board. Ignacio Gonzales, \
a fifth-year Spanish major with a focus on pre-med, has had his Barnes & Noble Nook \
for two months now, but has not used it for eTextbooks as much as he thought he \
would.

“I was looking for a cheaper way to get my books,” Gonzales said. “I had assumed that \
I’d be able to get my books a lot cheaper through the Nook. I was assuming the PDF \
files would be substantially less expensive than the hard copy but that isn’t always \
the case.”

[snip]

There are many instructors who don’t accept or allow electronic media in the \
classroom at all.

“I have said, ‘OK, I’m not allowing electronic devices,’” said drama instructor Gregg \
Dion.

“But now we have the Kindle Fire and iPads,” Dion said. “So now, how do I know that \
somebody is looking at their text in class and not looking at ESPN or email?”

A student at the Madden Library said she had one of her textbooks on her Kindle, but \
her instructor did not allow tablets like the Kindle in the classroom.

Whether tablets are embraced or banned can also depend on the class topic. \
Mathematics, engineering and the sciences appear to favor eTextbook use.

English education major José Ruiz bought his iPad two semesters ago primarily to take \
advantage of eTextbooks.

“I use it for documents so it saves money to not have to print stuff out and to have \
it right there,” Ruiz said. “I’ve bought four books for this semester. And I plan to \
buy more next semester. For one, they’re cheaper and you don’t have to carry them \
around. You have them in one place.”

Ruiz makes use of the advanced features of eTextbooks, especially the cloud features.

“Yes, I use the cloud,” Ruiz added. “Sometimes if I’m not reading it on the iPad I \
can read it on my iPod Touch. I have a Kindle app so I can save them on the iPod or \
even on a computer.”

Source Avaiable At

[ http://bit.ly/GUVA0E ]

Gerry McKiernan