List:       web4lib
Subject:    [Web4lib] Drupal 6 upgrade problem
From:       Jessie Keck <jkeck () stanford ! edu>
Date:       2010-12-13 23:02:23

Hi all,
Sorry for any cross or double posting.  I accidentally sent this out from my gmail \
account and I think it got rejected.  I didn't see it come through on any of the \
lists so I'm resending.

I have been having an problem with the upgrade from Drupal 5 -6 (late, I know) and I \
am at my wits end.  I am writing to see if I can find anybody who might be able to \
help or can possibly point me in the right direction.  I am running into certain \
issues w/ my data not being migrated in the necessary ways to get them to work with \
the new code on the other end of the update.  I have tried searching around \
drupal.org and general web searches and I don't find anybody having the problems that \
I am.  I can't imagine that I'm really using Drupal in such a way that we are the \
only people that are seeing these problems, yet I can't find any other people who \
have the same problem.

This is the main issue that I'm seeing in the upgrade.  In Drupal 5 I was using \
views_panes (admin/panels/views).  This is how our users would enter their arguments \
such as content type and taxonomy terms into the pane configuration.  I would have \
the arguments set in the views panes to be "Input on pane configuration".  With the \
changes to views there are now variants.  Views panes now appear to be a view variant \
called content pane.  However; it doesn't appear that there is any part of the \
upgrade process that will migrate our old view panes to content pane variants.

This means that every singe content pane that uses one of these view_panes has had \
its arguments lost (although they are still in the db).  I would have to imagine that \
somebody would have to had run into this previously if it was a widespread issue.

I have looked around in the database and this is what I have found.  I'm looking \
primary in the panels_pane table.  One thing I notice right when I update is that the \
type column references views2 for a lot of my old views which doesn't appear to be \
correct in Drupal6.  I believe that this was how views_panes were previously \
referenced in drupal 5, but I don't think that's correct any longer.  This was \
causing an error on many of the panels that said something along the lines of \
"Unknown content type Views2".

I have created some content panes as they should be to see the other differences in \
the database.  Views panes have a type of views_panes while normal views is just \
views.  The subtype for views panes has the view name appended with -panel_page_1 \
while normal views just have the view name.  The serialized configuration array is \
vastly different between the two:

Drupal5 views panes:
'a:9:{s:5:"style";s:7:"default";s:14:"override_title";i:1;s:19:"override_title_text";s:27:"Alpha \
Recent Type/Term List";s:6:"css_id";s:0:"";s:9:"css_class";s:0:"";s:5:"title";s:29:"Alpha \
Recent Type/Term - List";s:4:"name";s:27:"alpha_recent_type_term_list";s:9:"arguments" \
;a:2:{i:0;s:6:"Biblio";i:1;s:16:"Electrochemistry";}s:14:"nodes_per_page";s:1:"0";}'

Drupal6 views panes:
'a:7:{s:9:"arguments";a:2:{s:8:"nodetype";s:6:"biblio";s:9:"taxletter";s:16:"Electroch \
emistry";}s:9:"more_link";i:0;s:9:"use_pager";i:0;s:8:"pager_id";s:0:"";s:14:"items_pe \
r_page";s:1:"0";s:14:"override_title";i:1;s:19:"override_title_text";s:10:"panel_view";}'

So I could change all instances of views2 to views_panes, and append all of the \
subtypes with -panel_page_1 (and add the content pane view variant), however the \
serialized configuration array looks like it would be difficult to migrate.  It looks \
like in Drupal6 these arguments are defined with a string key instead of an integer \
(e.g. nodetype for node type and taxletter for taxonomy term).  So even if I write \
the code to migrate the data that we need I still wont know which arguments are \
which.  I suppose I could then go and read which possible arguments each view has but \
that's getting really complicated (not even getting into context arguments).

I would imagine that there would be some sort of process in the upgrade that would \
take the instances that people had inserted these panels panes and make the \
appropriate adjustments in the database however my looking through the various \
module's update processes yielded nothing useful.

This is kind of a complicated issue which has taken me some time to dig through.  Has \
anybody else seen a similar issue and have any thoughts?  Has anybody done a \
successful 5-6 upgrade on a site that is heavily using Panels, Views, and \
views_panes.  Is it possible that something in the upgrade process that is failing to \
get us to the steps that would normally do this and I just cant find it in the code?

The only option that I have found and has been suggested so far is to write a custom \
module to migrate the data for me.  While it would be a pain I am fully capable of \
doing this; however it seems to me like needing to do this is contradictory to why we \
are using Drupal in the first place.

Thank you very much in advance,
- Jessie Keck
Stanford University Libraires