List:       web4lib
Subject:    [Web4lib] RefWorks support questions
From:       "Laherty, Jennifer" <jlaherty () indiana ! edu>
Date:       2008-06-20 12:54:54

Posted to Dig_Ref and Web4Lib (apologies for the duplication)

We are contemplating a RefWorks subscription and are curious if anyone with RefWorks \
would respond to the following questions:

What is the workload for administering RefWorks - especially:  How much time to you \
devote to user account maintenance?  And if you provide other technical support, we'd \
appreciate any elaboration.

How have you dealt with students or faculty who have graduated or left your \
institution?  Have people complained about losing access to their citations?  Or are \
you able to continue providing access in some manner?  Please explain. Do you explain \
to people using RefWorks ahead of time (at what point and how) that they will not \
have access if they leave unless their next institution provides RefWorks?  Do you \
have some way of knowing who with accounts is leaving and then do you share methods \
of how they can download and take their citations with them (also at what point and \
how)?  We're concerned about our alumni population as well as faculty who retire or \
go elsewhere.

Who at your institution provides the teaching support for RefWorks (and possibly \
other bibliographic citation management tools) and how extensive is the support \
(handouts, web pages, whole class sessions, etc.)?  We currently provide very \
in-depth support from the library for EndNote and we're wondering what others do to \
support RefWorks.

Many thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Laherty
Reference/Digital Services Librarian
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
Wells Library E159
Bloomington, IN  47405
812-855-5609