List:       web4lib
Subject:    [WEB4LIB] Re: technology news sources
From:       wiggins () mail ! com (Richard Wiggins)
Date:       2001-01-31 19:33:56

It is frustrating how the IT press tends to cover the money aspects and to lose the \
technology aspects.  I subscribe to the ZDNET Anchordesk mentioned below, but to me \
the reporting style and the "teases" are often more sophomoric than local TV news -- \
and that's not a compliment.  "The Top Five Reasons Why You Have to Have Wireless" \
and such.

Lately I've been impressed with ACM Technews. It's roughly analogous to Salon's \
summary of the front page of major daily newspapers for AvantGo subscribers.  You get \
capsule summaries and can follow hyperlinks to the full text in whatever publication \
(e.g. NY Times, Washington Post, various Net media outlets).

Technews comes out 3 times per week.  Subscribe here:

http://www.acm.org/technews/

Here are recent headlines:

ACM TechNews
Volume 3, Number 158
Date: January 29, 2001

Top Stories for Monday, January 29, 2001:
http://www.acm.org/technews/current/homepage.html                                     \
 "Unions Address High-Tech Workers"
"Tech Industry in Turmoil Gets a New Top Lobbyist"
"The Odyssey of a Hacker: From Outlaw to Consultant"
"Contracting Grows in Popularity as Option for Out-of-Work Techies"
"Software Companies Rise Above Tech Pessimism"
"Companies' Spending on Communications Is Seen Rising 10 Percent"
"Congress Opens Debate on Online Privacy"
"New ICANN President: Learning, Listening Are Top Priorities"
"Intranets Nurture Companies From the Inside"
"U.S. Senate Reintroduces Permanent R&D Tax Credit"
"Study: E-Business Is Top Concern for CEOs"
"Report Outlines Path to Secure E-Government"
"Union Leader Targets Tech Industry"
"Standardizing Linux--It's a Good Thing"
"Bush Expected to Rattle Federal IT"
"IT Industry Opposes Impending Ergonomics Rules"
"Clues to Bush's High-Tech Plans"
"California Energy Woes Affecting High-Tech"
"With Accessibility for All"

"Unions Address High-Tech Workers"
Organized labor is meeting with a variety of challenges as it
tries to form unions in the high-tech industry.  One reason, says
Microsoft's Dan Leach, is because high-tech workers generally
have an entrepreneurial spirit that does not correspond well with . . .
http://www.acm.org/technews/articles/2001-3/0129m.html#item1

"Tech Industry in Turmoil Gets a New Top Lobbyist"
The tech-industry lobbying organization TechNet has named Rick