List:       w3m-dev-en
Subject:    [w3m-dev-en 00066] Re: w3m-i18n/m17n
From:       w3m-dev-en () mips ! rhein-neckar ! de (Christian Weisgerber)
Date:       2000-01-30 16:47:45

Hironori Sakamoto <hsaka@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:

> I got current xterm and ucs-fonts-asian.tar.gz.
> I shocked, xterm displays all characters with full width
> when ucs-fonts-asian is used.

Please calm down.

Yes. xterm currently doesn't yet support double width characters,
nor combining characters. Robert Brady is working on fixes to those
problems. Once his patches have stabilized, they will be merged
into xterm, see <URL:http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rwb197/xterm/>.

However, all of this is only of peripheral interest to the issue
at hand.

> I (and most CJK people) don't wish this implementation of Unicode.

Nobody is trying to force you to use it.

I was merely responding to your opinion that "UTF-8 as display
coding system is not useful for w3m". Recent versions of xterm
provide a terminal emulator that can display UTF-8, and--that's
the point I'm trying to get across--even with its current limitations
UTF-8 as display character set is already useful to *European*
users.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de