List:       vuln-dev
Subject:    Anyone looked at the canary stack protection in Win2k3?
From:       "Andrew Thomas" <andrew () generator ! co ! za>
Date:       2003-07-20 10:37:03

I've looked a bit at a single disassembly that I got
(IDA Pro) of the package. It's quite cute that MS have
started creating a 'fix' to reduce the probability
of programmatic errors in their code having as great
an impact as they could.

Any comments on their canary generator? It seems to
generate enough randomness, with use of:
GetSystemTimeAsFileTime
GetCurrentProcessId
GetCurrentThreadId
GetTickCount
QueryPerformanceCounter

all nicely xor'ed together. But then again, I am not
an expert in these matters.

--
Andrew G. Thomas
Hobbs & Associates Chartered Accountants (SA)