List:       vtkusers
Subject:    Re: [vtkusers] VTK rendering pipeline - ray casting
From:       Karthik Krishnan <karthik.krishnan () kitware ! com>
Date:       2011-09-30 17:20:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Juan:

You would use the vtkVolumePicker (or even the vtkCellPicker, although it
ignores the cropping planes); not the prop picker, to pick the volume at a
given "opacity iso-surface". (SetVolumeOpacityIsoValue and
UseVolumeGradientOpacity)

It would have been better instead to do that based on the accumulated
opacity along the ray, until it reached a stopping opacity. I'll try to add
that at some point.

But you can pick volumes.

--
karthik

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Juan Carlos Prieto <
prieto@creatis.insa-lyon.fr> wrote:

> **
> Hi Julien,
>
> Yes the 3D position, so I'm now using the vtkPropPicker, this picker will
> actually give me the world position in the actor where the hit occurred.
> I'm trying to solve another problem now. When I change the camera's
> position and view direction, the actor is not rendered unless I perform s=
ome
> interaction with the window (e.x. left click, zoom etc.), If I perform th=
> pick then the result is empty.
>
> The idea is to find a set of intersections given a set of rays, so I don'=
> know how to update the view with out the interaction.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> Le 30/09/2011 14:03, Julien Finet a =E9crit :
>
> Hi Juan,
> if you use a cellpicker, keep in mind that the volume ray caster is under
> the hood a cube with 6 faces (technically, with 12triangular faces). So y=
ou
> always pick the bounds of the volume.
> Are you sure you are interested in the cell and not the 3D position ?
> julien.
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Juan Carlos Prieto <
> prieto@creatis.insa-lyon.fr> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Julien,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the presentation, I kept on looking and I saw th=
at
>> using a vtkCellPicker might do the job of finding the intersection of a =
ray
>> against an actor in a renderer.
>> To do this, I'm moving the camera to look in the direction where I want
>> the intersection to happen, but it seems that after producing the pick, =
it
>> always finds the same cell in the actor.
>>
>> Can you give me some suggestion on how should I do this?
>>
>> Thank you very much
>>
>> Le 29/09/2011 20:22, Julien Finet a =E9crit :
>>
>> Hi Juan,
>>

>>  You can find a GPU ray casting high level presentation in the Kitware
>> Source of October 2009:
>> http://www.kitware.com/products/archive/kitware_quarterly0708.pdf
>>
>>  Hth,
>> Julien.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Juan Carlos Prieto <
>> prieto@creatis.insa-lyon.fr> wrote:
>>
>>>  Dear VTK Users,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone can point me out to the documentation of the
>>> VTK rendering pipeline, I want to analyze how the ray casting is done a=
s I
>>> came across a little problem where I need find the point of intersectio=
n in
>>> the surface.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> --