List:       vtkusers
Subject:    Re: [vtkusers] Loading images from memory *not files*
From:       Robert Haines <rhaines () manchester ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2010-02-24 13:35:39

> PNG is a file format and PNGReader implements it. Nothing crazy here.

No, PNG is a data format. A PNG file is simply a file with that data format in it. I \
have some PNG data in memory that I would like to decode and use rather than load it \
from a file. Given that when you load a PNG file you would load it into memory to \
decode it I was hoping that you could do that with PNGReader or similar, that's why I \
thought I was going crazy when I thought that the only way of loading PNG data into \
vtk was to have it in a file on disk.

So my question was, can I do this with vtk?

> You need to create a vtkImage and populate its data via write pointer.

I can't see a vtkImage class (5.4.0) but if I was to use something like that \
(vtkImageData?) then it looks like I would have to do the PNG decode myself. Is that \
right? Even when vtk already links libpng and can do this if it's in a file?

Cheers,
Rob