List:       vtkusers
Subject:    [vtkusers] 3D density surface plot
From:       Marc Streit <streit.marc () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-05-31 15:20:34

Hello,

i'm just beginning to work with VTK and i don't know which data type is
most suitable for the problem.
The raw input data are basically two data vectors (parameters).
Making the xy-plot is no problem :)

But now the problem arrives:
I want to create a 3D density plot. First i have to discretize the data.
   The result of that is a sort of 3D histogram.
In matlab it is easy. I create a zero matrix. Then i round the input
values. On the element with the position (x,y) i increment the matrix
element by a constant value (1).
The result of this is a density matrix. surf() gives then a nice color
mapped density surface.

I don't know how to achieve this in VTK. :(
Which data set is most appropriate for that purpose? Structured Points?
Rectlinear grid?

Example code would be great.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,