List:       vtk-developers
Subject:    Re: [vtk-developers] [vtkusers]  VTKBook Strawman - Chapter 3
From:       Todd via vtk-developers <vtk-developers () vtk ! org>
Date:       2018-04-06 23:43:13

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

variables formatted properly in the text. I agree that LaTeX embedded in markdown is \
class="gmail_quote">On 7 Apr 2018 2:11 a.m., Bill Lorensen \
&lt;bill.lorensen@gmail.com&gt; wrote:<br type="attribution"><blockquote \
class="quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc \
solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir="ltr">More progress.I found a great online tool to \
generate Latex formulas. <br>
With no previous Latex experience,I was able to generate all of the
equations for Chapter 3. I can embed Latex in the markdown. The
equations are rendered by MathJax.

Here is the online website:
http://www.hostmath.com/

and here is the updated Chapter 3:

https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/VTKBook/Chapter3/

Bill

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 6:28 AM, David Cole via vtk-developers
&lt;vtk-developers@vtk.org&gt; wrote:
&gt; "I ignore whether Markdown/reStrucuredText support for
&gt; tools to have proper printed texts is likely to be improved."
&gt;
&gt; I have become a big fan of "print to pdf using the Chrome browser" to
&gt; get a printed copy of web content these days. It's actually not a bad
&gt; way to go if you don't need to refer to page numbers within the text.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; And now, this is just my opinion, so take with yet another grain of salt:
&gt;
&gt; The available "writer pool" for LaTeX is far far smaller than that for
&gt; markdown. If the math stuff must be in LaTeX, I'd very strongly prefer
&gt; to see it as embedded chunks of LaTeX than have the whole thing be in
&gt; LaTeX.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Nice work, as usual Bill.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Thanks,
&gt; David C.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:20 AM, Jon Haitz Legarreta
&gt; &lt;jhlegarreta@vicomtech.org&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt; Bill, Andrew, simply brilliant.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I've spot some parts in the Chapters 3 and 6 strawmans that were
&gt;&gt; already mentioned by you and Todd whose transition has some errors
&gt;&gt; (links that are missing, missing cross-reference links to VTK classes,
&gt;&gt; examples or bibliography, etc.).
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; How can we contribute to fix them? Are you still working on the
&gt;&gt; transition tools to improve the output, or you want us to manually try
&gt;&gt; to fix them?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I can help with/do all the Maths in LaTeX Bill. However, if the tool
&gt;&gt; you found works or the transition will be automatic, I do not see
&gt;&gt; where to help at this stage. Please, let me know.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Otherwise, it's looking awesome.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; As for the LaTeX vs. Markdown/reStrucuredText discussion:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I've contributed with some patches to the ITK SW Guide written in
&gt;&gt; LaTeX. I guess at the time it was written Markdown and reStrucuredText
&gt;&gt; were not available, so I think the choice was fair.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Having said that, I admit that the learning curve for LaTeX may be
&gt;&gt; higher than that for Markdown or reStrucuredText. The latter are
&gt;&gt; tailored for web navigation, which is most people expect. And times
&gt;&gt; have changed. I ignore whether Markdown/reStrucuredText support for
&gt;&gt; tools to have proper printed texts is likely to be improved.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I guess the ITK SW Guide requiring to be compiled (both the examples
&gt;&gt; to generate the figures and LaTeX itself) is not a downside, since VTK
&gt;&gt; Cxx examples used in this book need so.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I guess having a first version for both cases (LaTeX and
&gt;&gt; Markdown/reStrucuredText) is somehow costly at the beginning.
&gt;&gt; Maintaining/sync'ing them once that is done every time there is a
&gt;&gt; change may not effortless also. But that may be the price to pay.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; The ITK SW Guide keeps being maintained. I ignore whether the ITK
&gt;&gt; folks at Kitware have considered to transition to Markdown or
&gt;&gt; reStrucuredText.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; JON HAITZ
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; --
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; On 6 April 2018 at 01:05, Todd via vtk-developers
&gt;&gt; &lt;vtk-developers@vtk.org&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt; Fantastic. I think Latex is definitely the way to go, although I'm no \
expert <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; in writing it.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________
&gt;&gt;&gt; Powered by www.kitware.com
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
&gt;&gt;&gt; http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Search the list archives at: \
http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtk-developers <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html <br>

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com