List:       vtk-developers
Subject:    [vtk-developers] New vector modes for vtkScalarsToColors
From:       David Gobbi <david.gobbi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-28 17:39:35

Hi All,

I'm in the process of adding more VectorModes to vtkScalarsToColors.
Right now it supports:
  Component - map one vector component through the table
  Magnitude - map the vector magnitude through the table

However, I have to deal with multi-component data that is already
color data.  When I apply a vtkLookupTable, I want it to automatically
treat multi-component data as color data, and only apply the lookup
when it receives single-component data. So I've added the following
vector mode:
  RGBColors - if input is multi-component, convert to unsigned char

Mathieu has already requested modes for YCbCr and other color
spaces, which vtkScalarsToColors could convert on-the-fly to
RGB.  To me, it makes sense to have all the conversions handled
in vtkScalarsToColors so that they can be shared by the Imaging
and Graphics pipelines.

Any comments/questions?

 - David