List:       vtk-developers
Subject:    Re: [vtk-developers] unicode stuff in VTK
From:       "Timothy M. Shead" <tshead () sandia ! gov>
Date:       2009-03-09 19:33:13

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 3/9/09 9:18 AM, Timothy M. Shead said:
>
>> For those interested, the proposed VTK Unicode support consists of
>> "vtkUnicodeString" and "vtkUnicodeStringArray" classes, which were
>> recently committed to the ParaView-Annotation branch (i.e. they're not
>> part of 5.4).
>
> So is the plan to move away from using c strings, and APIs like
> strcmp(), strcat(), etc?

VTK developers should already be using the vtkStdString class in any new
code that they write, it's already widely used.  The new Unicode classes
were created to support ingestion, analysis, and rendering of Unicode
text using the VTK pipeline.  I imagine that any changes to the existing
VTK API around Unicode would happen at a relaxed pace.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy M. Shead