List:       vtigercrm-developers
Subject:    [Vtigercrm-developers] Invitation : Tabs & Modules Grouping
From:       grahama () add-ons ! co ! uk (Graham Anderson)
Date:       2006-01-23 11:09:37

Well Hello every one...

[Brian (if you are listening).. I think we have the same sort of
response to some of your comments, so (apologies) I will shorthand some
replies if they have been already covered..]

The biggest, and in my opinion the best solution is going to be being
able to add Modules to whatever Tab we like. The easiest way to achieve
this of course, is to add all modules to all tabs and have an admin
console that allows for modules to be turned off within a specific
tab.... but that's for further debate.

One of the problems with any solution, is that different markets,
different types of companies and (even) different countries, mean that
our clients have a very mixed set of requirements and one of the
benefits of having all of the modules as Tabs, gives a level of
flexibility that can work for most people.... therefore any loss of this
flexibility is going to be a backwards step.

We have over 150 CRM installs of different systems, some of these vTiger
specific, most of these our legacy CRM solutions, and one thing that
stands out is that 80% of the solution is the same as the next guy, and
20% is 'configured/bespoke/customised'. The problem is the 20% can often
be different.

My example is simple : Some of our clients are not big enough to
understand the difference between Marketing and Sales, particularly if
there are only two sales people and they handle all of the lead
generation themselves (therefore they are Marketing and Sales). In this
scenario they would want to be able have a single tab - Sales - that has
Leads, Opportunities and their sales orders (plus the obvious other
modules).. rather than these modules appearing in different places.....

What this means is that we need the ability to configure the tabs, to
show whatever modules are required... but if I was pushed, I would want
the option to be able to display (or NOT) any of the following, under
their tabs...

By the way ... The idea of making changes to the Activity screens, as
Brian suggested is a great idea and probably should not be overlooked,
as it will bring added functionality to the application. We feel that an
add on module similar to My Home is a must have and have developed a
desktop tool bar that offers this functionality which has been
commercially available for a while, although on our legacy systems. It
is called ViewPoint and we have been using this self authored .NET
application on all of our systems, to help productivity... so we agree
that something along the My Home idea may be very useful..

Anyway.. here goes...

One fundamental difference in what we have seen and what we would like
(utopia here we come) is the addition of a TAB for Admin or Tracking....
this is because we (and other clients) as a company, need an
administrative function to track our sales orders, Purchase orders,
quotes, Invoices, Global Activities, Vendor activity and others... so we
feel there should be some suitable named TAB that allows for this sort
of information to be tracked.

This is quite important for us, as our clients will have a sales cycle
that is inclusive of the sales personnel and then the tracking or
processing will be handled by someone in ADMIN, especially if sales
people are 'on the road' a lot. Just a thought.

Sales : Leads, Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Quotes, Activities,
Calendar, Sales Orders, Price Books, Dashboard, Notes, Products.
Support : Accounts, Contacts, Helpdesk, **contracts**, FAQ, Activities,
Calendar, Dashboard (support focus) and Notes.
Marketing : Leads, Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Quotes,
Activities, Calendar, Dashboard, Notes
Tracking : Sales Orders, Purchase orders, Quotes, Opportunities,
**documentation**, Activities, Vendors, Invoices.

Other tabs... agree in principle as they stand.

So in summary... what is different in this proposal....

1. Allow all modules to be available from all tabs and give a console to
turn on and off
2. Add new TAB that allows for the Non sales or Non Support personnel -
tracking from an admin person, who is responsible for just doing this
work.
3. Consider Contracts for support
4. Consider how we will handle documentation that may need tracking...
terms and conditions (bespoke document) that has a deadline or
dependency for other triggers and workflow in the system.
5. Agree with Brian's view that some form of Desktop menu/side bar/
toolbar is a good idea, especially if this is configurable..

Enough for now.. if you managed to digest and read this far.. I hope it
makes some sense... because this is so important to us all, thank you
for letting us comment.

It probably goes without saying, that if any of these diatribes produce
any work that we can assist with... please let me know... I am happy (as
always) to dedicate whatever resources we can to our common goal.

Regards

Graham

Graham Anderson
Managing Director