List:       vpn
Subject:    [vpn] firewall-independent VPN
From:       Marc Jacquinot <marc () jacquinot ! com>
Date:       2001-08-15 23:04:39

I've been looking for VPN solutions for a couple of days now. Can anyone
tell me what's the most popular approach assuming you have Win
98/Me/2000/XP clients and a Windows 2000 server. Of course the server side
device can be a Linux or other Unix-like OS.

I would prefer a solution that can be added to an existing firewall, which
is not Checkpoint's Firewall-1. I've seen a huge number of VPN solutions
that hook into Checkpoint's OPSEC, but hope that there other ways to set up
a VPN, too.

Furthermore the solution should be scalable on the server side and flexible
on the client-side regarding the credentials required for authentication.

I am particularly interested in solutions that are open to third party
smart cards or tokens via standard smart card and public key interfaces.

Many questions, I know. I count on your security focused expertise.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com