List:       vpn
Subject:    Re: I'm looking for a VPN Client...
From:       Jon Carnes <jonc () haht ! com>
Date:       2001-05-10 13:13:25

Typically there is a checkbox or some configuration along the lines of :
  Use Default Gateway on Remote Network

If this is unchecked, then the 0.0.0.0 (default) route is left alone, and
only traffic for the remote network is routed down the VPN.

You should feel free to adjust your own routing tables.  There is no "magic"
gained by heaping all the responsibility onto the VPN client.  You can
substitute a script that calls the VPN dialup and afterwards adjusts the
routes.

We do this for our consulting folks when they are attaching to larger
corporate networks that have multiple internal addresses.  The vpn dial-up
goes in without changing their default route so that they can access the
local network and the Internet.  We then run a script which adds the remote
routes and points them to the VPN as their gateway.

Jon Carnes