List:       vpn
Subject:    VPN across two networks
From:       John Armstrong <john () LRF ! LEEDS ! AC ! UK>
Date:       2000-09-25 16:08:23

I expect this is a dumb question, but as someone very new to VPNs
I'm not sure - and if the answer is 'no' then I don't want to spend a
lot of time trying it out only to fail!

* Our group's main LAN is 'hidden' behind a Linux firewall
* PCs on the hidden network use the server to authenticate
    logins (it's a Win NT server ...)
* Network U is connected to the rest of the world
* We have a worker with a PC connected to Network U

                                         +--+
   +------+                              |PC|
   |Server|                              +--+
   +--+---+                               |
      |      +----------+                 |
-----+------| Firewall |-----------------+----// WORLD
   'secure'  +----------+  Network
    network                  'U'

We need to set up secure access between our worker's PC on Network U
and our server on our secure network U.  I know that the firewall can
be set up to allow access through to the server - I've been looking at
Linux VPN Masquerading and I *think* that is what I need to do.

But will that just allow the outside user to made a secure connection
and log on to the server, or will s/he see the rest of the network as
though s/he had logged on from inside the firewall.

As I said, this is probably a dumb question - or it might not even be
the right question - and the answer may well be "hidden" in all the
resources I've found so far, so I'll offer my apologies in advance 8-)

Thanks
  John Armstrong                         Computer System Adminstrator

  john@lrf.leeds.ac.uk                   LRF Centre at Leeds University
  j.d.c.armstrong@leeds.ac.uk                    30 Hyde Terrace
                                                         Leeds LS2 9LN
  0113 233 3912 (phone)