List:       vpn
Subject:    Re: about better network's perfomance using encryption
From:       Eric Vyncke <evyncke () CISCO ! COM>
Date:       2000-07-30 7:11:25

There is indeed a protocol called IP Payload Compression Protocol
that can compress a layer 3 payload before encryption. It is even
being implemented ;-)

BUT:
1) small packets of 64 bytes are too small to be compressed
2) as the compression dictionary is per packet (a important fact
    when comparing to layer 1/2 compressions like MNP.5, STAC, ...)
    the compression ratio is rather small (I have heard figures
    around 1.3-1.5 ratio)
3) compression is also requested a big amount of CPU...

Just my 0.01 EUR

-eric

At 10:54 27/07/2000 -0500, Juan Diego Jimenez Leon wrote:
>In T1 (1.544 Mb/seg )networks or highers working with packets of 64
>bytes there is a big problem with their lost. I've listened about a
>protocol L2Z for compressing before encrypting, i would like to know if
>somebody knows about another possibility for solving this problem and
>where i can get information about this.
>
>I'm interested too in information about better network's perfomance
>using encryption.
>
>Thanks!!
>
>VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM

Eric Vyncke
Senior Consulting Engineer         Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke@cisco.com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM