List:       vpn
Subject:    Re: Compatible VPN Solutions (Intraport)
From:       Lisa Phifer <lisa () corecom ! com>
Date:       1998-10-20 22:29:49

At 09:41 PM 10/19/98 -0400, tweil@rpm.com wrote:
>* What is a Layer3 Tunnel (advertised in Internet World article 2/98)?

You're probably inquiring about the IntraPort review we published
in the Feb issue of IW Labs?  By "Layer 3 tunnel", we meant the IPSEC
AH and ESP protocols defined by the IETF for secure tunneling at
the network layer.  In the Compatible Systems' IntraPort, these
protocols are used to provide an authenticated and/or encrypted
tunnel between a host running Compatible's IPSEC client and an
IntraPort acting as a security gateway.

Cheers,
Lisa Phifer