List:       vpn
Subject:    VAN to VPN Migration
From:       tweil () rpm ! com
Date:       1998-10-07 18:38:01

I'm researching the migration of a large Enterprise
Network wishing to migrate from 'store-and-forward'
VAN services onto an InterNet based VPN.  This is a
government project and therefore all applicable
precautions and security are assumed.

The basic question I'm looking to answer is what issues
the VAN network raises (guaranteed transport, EDI-like
transactions, FTP services, on-line IBM database queries).
We have basically two user communities ->

  PCs running VAN application desktops (X.25, Async, OSI4
    over Ethernet, TCP/IP over Ethernet/Token Ring)

  IBM Mainframes using legacy protocols (BiSync, SNA,
    X.25) converted into TCP/IP traffic

I have developed a good catalogue of VPN Web Sites and
White papers (http://www.clark.net/pub/timw/vpn) as a
starting point for this project.

Tim Weil
InterNetwork Consultant