List:       vpn
Subject:    [vpn] Fw: VPN
From:       "The Computer Guy" <computerguy () tciway ! tc>
Date:       2001-10-11 20:33:41

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tina Bird" <tbird@precision-guesswork.com>
To: "The Computer Guy" <computerguy@tciway.tc>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: VPN

> pls forward to vpn@securityfocus.com
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, The Computer Guy wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:34:00 -0400
> > From: The Computer Guy <computerguy@tciway.tc>
> > To: tbird@precision-guesswork.com
> > Subject: VPN
> >
> > First let me say that I don't have a clue!
> >
> > I need a VPN solution for a client and I don't feel that software is the
way to go.  I'll give you a little more info on the exact application in the
hopes that you can either help me out or steer me toward a solution.

> > Client is "Offshore".  They communicate through the Internet using a
Sat. connection from a small island in the Caribbean.  Highest speed is T1.
What I propose to do is create a VPN link to a service provider in Nassau.
In this way, I hope to provide the client with "anonimity".  That is, no one
can trace him past Nassau.  We have installed a Proxy Server here and that
seems to keep him safe from prying eyes.  The big concern is that the
information being transferred can be "examined" and the source determined.

> > My inclination is to install a VPN device at each end.  Is this a good
idea?  Which device should I look into?  What do I need to be aware of?

> > Sincerely,
> >
> > John Lawson
> >

> "I was being patient, but it took too long." -
>                                 Buffy the Vampire Slayer
>
> LogAnalysis: http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/log-analysis.html
> VPN:  http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html

VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com