List:       voyage-linux
Subject:    Re: [Voyage-linux] Voyage linux on USB flash drive
From:       George <george.news () gmx ! net>
Date:       2011-11-12 10:54:42

Sorry for the double response. I click on send without wanting.

Some comments inside of some differences between my steps and yours.

On 12/11/2011 7:25, Lee Woldanski wrote:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Sorry I didn't get back to you right away... I wanted to run through
> the whole process myself and give you a more detailed tutorial...
>
> Here's a process that should work for you to re-build the distro with
> your own custom kernel:
>
> Get the 0.8.0 SDK off the website and install it on a virtual machine
> so you can create a build environment.
>
> Boot in to your SDK environment.

I've used the SDK Live CD to do it, as I've been testing how to flash my
system from a Live CD.

> Change /etc/apt/sources.list to closest mirror
>
> [.... snip....]
> Now we'll work on our new kernel:
>
> cd /usr/src
> apt-get install dialog ncurses-dev build-essential zlib1g-dev
> kernel-package fakeroot    (to make sure all the requisite packages
> are installed)
> apt-get install linux-source-3.0.0-voyage
> tar -xjf linux-source-3.0.0-voyage.tar.bz2
> ln -s linux-source-3.0.0-voyage linux
> wget http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/kernel_config/config-3.0.0-voyage_10.0-1
> cp config-3.0.0-voyage_10.0-1 ./linux/.config
> cd linux
> make menuconfig    (now you can change the options you like, save your
> config and make sure your custom configuration is in .config)
> make-kpkg --initrd --revision="1.0" --append_to_version="-mycustom" kernel_image

Some options in case you use a 64bit architecture. In that case you have
to crosscompile if the host system is 32bits

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 DEB_HOST_ARCH=i386 ARCH=i386 make-kpkg --arch
i386 --cross-compile - --revision="1.0" --append-to-version
"-mycustom" --initrd kernel-image

> This should give you a kernel-image package called
> linux-image-3.0.0-mycustom_1.0_i386.deb in /usr/src/linux
>
> Copy this file to ~/voyage-live/config/chroot_local-packages (you can
> also delete the lilo .deb's that are in that folder, they don't need
> to be there)
>
> Now go edit ~/voyage-live/config/chroot_local-hooks/098-voyage

This can be done also by modifying the LB_LINUX_FLAVOURS on config/chroot.

Or also by changing the VOYAGE_PACKAGES in the build.sh.

Thanks a lot.

See you
Jorge