List:       voyage-linux
Subject:    Re: [Voyage-linux] Copying the whole Installation
From:       John Coltrane <johncoltrane39 () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-10 6:13:13

Good Morning

On 11/09/2011 07:31 PM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Tuesday 08 November 2011 01:46:34 schrieben Sie:
>
>>   From Rainer Stratmann
>>

>>> How is it possible to copy the whole installation files after an
>>> installation to a directory on another computer?
>>> Then change files and then copy back to the install medium.
>>>
>>> with
>>> cp -r /mnt/installmedium /home/user/voyagefiles
>>> ?
>>>
>> cp is not a good way to move the distribution around.

I prefer tar (preferebly in combination with pv) for doing such things:

cd /source && tar cf - * | pv | tar xf - -C /destination

>> there are many non-file things: symlinks, devices, pipes.

tar has no probs dealing with symlinks, hardlinks, (named) pipes,
sockets, device nodes, ownership, permissions, MAC times etc. Have a
look into tar's manpage.
You can also copy from ext3 to ext4 (without journal on a CF card) or
other filesystems, and on the fly you get a completely defragmented
destination.

Cheers