List:       voyage-linux
Subject:    Re: [Voyage-linux] Bonding multiple WAN connections
From:       Konstantinos Birkos <kmpirkos () ece ! upatras ! gr>
Date:       2011-07-07 18:51:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Actually I have a set of client applications that need to transfer data
at rates that totally exceed the uploading capacity of a single HSUPA
connection. However, the bandwidth of the connection is sufficient for a
single client. So I thought of using a pool of connections that would be
allocated to the clients.

I will try to follow the instructions you suggest.

Thank you

O/H Gustin Johnson έγραψε:

> I have done this in voyage based on the instructions at lartc.org
> <http://lartc.org> (3 x 3g connections on one voyage box).  I am not
> sure what you mean exactly by aggregation, as each client connection
> was still limited by the bandwidth of each individual 3g link.  To get
> a round this would require the co-operation of the 3g provider.
>
> I suppose you might be able to get around that by creating a tunnel to
> a 3rd site (that has more bandwidth than both of your 3g links) and
> then bonding/trunking those tunnels together.
>
> There are really a number of options for you depending on what the
> problem you are trying to solve.  For providing access to a network
> via a pool of 3g modems  is pretty straightforward to.   A single
> logical link that combines your 3g modems is probably harder to do, I
> have never tried to do this.
>
> Sent from my Android device.  Please excuse my brevity.
>
> On Jul 7, 2011 7:02 AM, "Konstantinos Birkos" <kmpirkos@ece.upatras.gr
> <mailto:kmpirkos@ece.upatras.gr>> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Has anyone ever achieved to bond two WAN (3G/UMTS) connections to
> > aggregate their bandwidth in the same machine that runs Voyage? I've
> > seen implementations oriented at creating a router providing this
> > functionality to another computer but is this possible under a single
> > linux machine?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kostas
> >
> > --
> > Konstantinos Birkos
> > PhD Student
> > Wireless Telecommunication Laboratory
> > Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> > University of Patras
> > Patras, Greece
> > Tel.: +30 2610 996465

Konstantinos Birkos