List:       voyage-linux
Subject:    Re: [Voyage-linux] Tiny SMTP server( daemon)
From:       Christoph Fritsche <chr.fr () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-04-26 19:04:20

Hi Ba,

those guys over at OpenWRT tend to use xmail. Xmail looks like a fully
featured SMTP Server including SSL suport.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xmail

If mails are only generated locally (using mutt, mail, ...) you might
want to give:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/msmtp
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/dma
a try.

qmail is only available as source in the non-free repository, building
from source is no fun at all within an embedded environment.  Unless you
have a development station for cross compiling around you should skip
this option.

Except the disk space the binaries, libs and config files might use up,
you should more worry about the mail queue. Everything is put into a
queue (on the disk) in the first place. You should try to keep this off
the flash. Heavy write access will burn out your flash sooner or later.
Think of using tmpfs, aufs, unionfs... and store the message queue in
RAM. RAM is cheap by the way.  In case of a power failure or other means
of sudden death the mails kept in RAM are lost, you might want to rsync
them on disk regularly (hourly) in order to keep messages which are
currently not deliverable (remote STMP server down).

Cheers,
Christoph