List:       voyage-linux
Subject:    Re: [Voyage-linux] ALERT! /dev/hda1 doe not exist
From:       "Kim-man 'Punky' TSE" <punkytse () punknix ! com>
Date:       2007-06-13 3:19:38

Hi Philip,

I am that cv860A recognize the flash card as hdc instead of hda.  So

1. Find a way to make cv860A to recognize the flash card as hda; or
2. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (and may be /etc/fstab) and edit the
parameter to boot from hdc and make hdc mount as root.

Regards,
Punky

Philip A. Chapman wrote:
> I downloaded voyage-0.3.1.tar.bz2 onto my ubuntu laptop, untarballed
> it, and used the voyage.update script to install voyage onto a compact
> flash card using a usb card reader.  I'm installing on a via cv860A,
> so I chose profile "Generic PC", console "standard", no pcmcia, and
> grub as my bootstrap.  The usb card reader had me writing to /dev/sdb,
> where I created a single partition.
>
> I put the card in my via and started it.  It hangs for a long time
> waiting for root file system.  It then gies me the error:
>
>     ALERT! /dev/hda1 does not exist.  Dropping to shell!
>
> then:
>
>     /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> In the shell, i see that only /dev/hdc and /dev/hdc1 exist.  I rename
> them to /dev/hda and /dev/hda1 respectively and am able to mount the
> file system.  After this, however, I am lost.  I do not know how to
> fix the problem so that /dev/hda and /dev/hda1 will exist.  Any
> pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Philip A. Chapman
>
> Desktop and Web Application Development:
> Java, .NET, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
> Linux, Windows 2000, Windows XP

Regards,
Punky

P U N K N ! X  . c o m
Technology + Lifestyle
(http://www.punknix.com)

V O Y A G E . H K - http://www.voyage.hk
Linux - voyage-0.3.1 is released!
Store - New Senao NMP-8601 and NMP-8602 (100mW) in stock!
      - New low price for Senao NMP-8602 Plus (400mW)!