List:       vorbis-dev
Subject:    Re: [Vorbis-dev] Runtime version info
From:       Ralph Giles <giles () xiph ! org>
Date:       2007-01-04 23:12:01

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 02:36:17PM -0800, Stevo Brock wrote:

> How can I determine the runtime version of OGG, Vorbis, and FLAC?  Is
> there anyway at runtime to determine what version of the library I'm
> using?

If you mean the implementation release version number, not for libogg or
libvorbis. FLAC provides a global FLAC__VERSION_STRING which is the
release version.

libvorbis sets an encoder version string in the output from
vorbis_commentheader_out(), but that's set when the reference encoder is
updated and doesn't necessarily correspond to the release version. You
can also use this to track which version created a vorbis stream.

On some platforms you can check the soname, which contains revision
compatibility information, but that's again not the same as the release
numbering.

If you want to know what api bits you can call, I'd suggest dlopen()ing
the library and using dlsym() to check.

HTH,
 -r