List:       voipsec
Subject:    Re: [VOIPSEC] VoIP bots for SPIT available for research
From:       dan_york () Mitel ! com
Date:       2007-05-07 15:19:00

Radu,

You'll see over on the Voice of VOIPSA weblog that I wrote a post about
your program:

http://voipsa.org/blog/2007/05/07/ready-or-not-here-come-the-irc-controlled-sipvoip-attack-bots/

I did try out your code on my home office test network and it did
definitely work as advertised.  Rather interesting from a technical
perspective.  Rather frightening if you think about having hundreds or
thousands of these things executing a DDoS against your SIP servers.

You'll note that in my article I wrote about potential solutions (and
requested comments)...   and did encourage people to take a look at your
code and try it out.  Given the traffic that the VOIPSA blog gets (and
it's inclusion in the Security Bloggers Network), I imagine you'll see
some traffic coming your way over the next few days.

I think I can speak for others involved with VOIPSA in saying that we knew
such automation of attacks was only a matter of time, given the tools out
there.  I also think all of us would prefer botnets capable of attacking
VoIP be something farther out... and maybe they will be....

In any event, it certainly highlights the fact that we as an industry need
to sort out SIP security issues (something I posted on last week at
http://voipsa.org/blog/2007/05/03/sipit-20-shows-the-very-clear-need-for-sip-security-interoperability/
)

Regards<
Dan