List:       voipsec
Subject:    Re: [VOIPSEC] mid-span decrypt
From:       "Jim Donovan" <jdonovan () covergence ! com>
Date:       2006-05-10 11:54:37

Hi Bill -

The media (voip, video, IM chat, etc.) recording functions of the
Covergence appliance are typically only activated based on demand (using
policy or dial prefix).  For example, if the network operator received a
court order to target a particular individual, a policy could be
activated that would target only that individual.    The policy
mechanism is also granular enough to only record calls that (for
example) are between a U.S. subscriber and PSTN or VOIP subscriber
outside of the U.S.

You are correct in your assumption that the appliance must be part of
the call setup for this feature to be used.    Given that the product is
typically used to provide SIP firewall, encryption, and other session
control features at the edge of carrier and enterprise networks, the
appliance is already in the call setup path for other purposes besides
call recording.     For example, a typical application of the product
would be to provide TLS and SRTP encryption over the untrusted public
network and then remove this encryption once the call enters the trusted
private network.  If you would like more info, please drop me a note.

Thanks,
Jim
jdonovan at covergence.com

Message: 4