List:       voipsec
Subject:    Re: [VOIPSEC] TLS as the SIP security mechanism
From:       Robert Moskowitz <rgm () icsalabs ! com>
Date:       2005-08-19 21:07:42

At 07:43 PM 8/15/2005, Pankaj Shroff wrote:
>What does the history of DNS outages tell us about SIP reliability? Other
>than the fact that DNS is a service at the IP core (with ENUM likely to be
>integrated in a similar pattern), all that says is that DNS is an essential
>service which should seldom fail. From a Voice-over-IP point of view, the
>comparison is more appropriate to the local name resolution servers that
>fail a lot more often. VoIP is not (considered to be) a core network
>service.

I have been following this thread, and every now and then thought
perhaps I should put my 2 plug-nickels into the fray...

Today is NOT 1994.  Gee I remember what Mosaic did to the servers
when it started running 4 concurrent TCP connections.  A few of us
had to teach Andresen queueing theory to get him to understand what
he did.  But the server vendors finally figure out how to support
more than 128 concurrent TCP connections.

There are many good examples today of what is needed for a robust
application infrastructure that SIP requires.  Today there are blades
and SANS that make very dense, very distributed, very robust
configurations possible and probably affordable.

In '87 I was at a breakfast where Andy Grove explained that he no
longer concerned himself, for planning purposes, where engineering
would get the next idea to maintain Moore's Law.

Don't sweat the details.  Design what meets the goals.

What is needed from here is a clear, concise review of various levels
of outages will have on SIP services.

Brian alluded to a few of them.

It would be good to have senarios like:  neighborhood power outage
for 8 hours, where the CO stays up and whole blocks at a time get
power back and everyone hits their phones at once.

This is a very common event here in Michigan, and I would suspect
that it is common throughout the US.  CPE batteries might not last 8
hours, BTW.

These, I would hope, go into what a provider will be putting into their plans.

Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Director
ICSA Labs, a division of Cybertrust, Inc.
W:      248-968-9809
F:      248-968-2824
VoIP:   248-291-0713
E:      rgm@icsalabs.com

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who
gets the credit