List:       vocal
Subject:    [Vocal] Re: redundant pserver sync on different subnets?
From:       "Daniel Liu" <daniel.liu () cu88 ! com>
Date:       2003-08-27 15:27:27

Hi Rod,
      I also have problem in pserver rendundancy.
I have setup two pserver in a lan, but sync not happen.
my tips as below.

Rod write:

> Hi all,
> trying to get the pservers in two vocal 1.5.0 all-in-one systems on different
> networks (only one hop) to sync and effectively become one redundant
> system.
>
> Is building a redundant system this way basically sound?
> Is it possible for 1.5.0 systems to sync between different subnets?
> And if so has anyone got practical experience they can share?
>
> So far :-
>
> 1. I have installed two complete allinone systems and verified they are
> working.
>
> 2. Edited vocal.conf to have the main and backup servers with the local
> server in each case the main pserver.
>
> 3. Added pserver multicast 224.0.0.100:9000 entry to each vocal.conf.
> (seemed to be required for pserver to start??)

Yes. We need it.

> 4. Tried various combinations of writer and reader passwords in
> vocal.secret based on various posts in the list history.

The pservers lookup writer's password in vocal.writesecret file, not vocal.secret.
U can view source code to verify this.There is a mistake in source code to output debug message.

> But still no joy. Changes in one provgui don't end up in the other. I would
> have expected the two systems to start to sync when they come up but
> this does not appear to happen.

Yes, the same.