List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: VNC vs Radmin (was RE: VNC vs PC Anywhere)
From:       "Morris, Steve" <smorris () cereva ! com>
Date:       2000-11-29 23:10:07

I heard of radmin here a week ago. I downloaded it immediately and had
problem after problem. It crashed once. Mostly it had update problems with
exceed X11 server windows. I also saw long pauses. It seems to gather more
data before doing very fast screen updates. The update is impressive but
would be more impressive without the delays. Mouse tracking is very
impressive but that shouldn't be hard. Not many bits there. I'm surprised
VNC does so poorly with mouse tracking. They probably worry more about
efficient use of bandwidth and less about turnaround latency. Mouse tracking
is definitely worth special casing if only for the subjective impression of
speed it gives.

When I opened my faithful VNC window it definitely seemed clunky but it
worked. I'll keep track of radmin and try new releases but it seems quite
unstable for any but the most common configurations.

The claim of 150x speed improvement is obviously bogus. We know how that is
done. Find one tiny special case that one package optimizes exceptionally
well that the other handles as a general case. Construct a test that loops
over the tiny feature. Claim that the entire package is much faster. Such
numbers are less valuable than nothing because they make you misstrust the
source.