List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Re: [result] Re: changing the password
From:       "James \(Wez\) Weatherall" <jnw22 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-01-31 10:37:55

> I spent 20 hours or more last  week  on  this
> and  I  was  wondering  if  anyone  can  shed
> light.
>
> All my efforts to change the passwd ended  up
> in same spot.  That is, vnc does not want you
> to have the cake and eat it too.  I am trying
> to  set  the  passwd  so  windows-nt box in a
> public-lab  setting  be  secure  and  can  be
> logged  into  remotely.   That I can do.  But
> that's no good if  a  non-Administrator  uses
> the  "Options" in icon task bar.  So I try to
> disable     the     "Options"     for     the
> non-Administrator users, and the passwd I had
> set  get lost and goes to bit bucket and goes
> the cycle of point and click and  change  the
> registry  and  logout  and  log back in and I
> tried  doze  or  more  variation  of  on  the
> theme.
>
> Why does this have to be  so  difficult?   Is
> there  a  functional  bug  with  vnc 3.3.2r6?
> steps I was provided in  this  forum  are  so
> simple  there  is no way one can go wrong but
> it just won't let me set the passwd.

The procedure I have described is correct and will produce the desired
effect.  Unforatunately, it assumes that you're using the latest version of
WinVNC.  If not then you'll find there isn't a Default Properties dialog and
you'll have to do it by copying registry entries directly.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
          "Xenophobes should go back to Xenophobia"