List:       vnc-list
Subject:    VNC: Linux->Win98 = Black Screen
From:       "Josiah Olivieri" <jolivier () riptor ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2000-01-28 3:45:18

Greetings!

I'm new to vnc but I really like it. I've been toying with it for awhile and
have been running a client from work (nt4) to my machine at home (linux)
through a firewall. It's worked great for that! Now I'm trying things that
are a bit different. I want to take my notebook (linux) and have it connect
to my pc (win98.) The server on 98 runs just fine and the viewer on linux
works just fine too. I can connect, I can run things, I can disconnect and
reconnect but sometimes things go wrong. (This is where I'm lucky, I'm only
50 feet away from my machine at the time so I can restart.)

I have been working away in Linux and switch to vnc to check email or do
some other win-related task. Sometimes email gets lengthy, other times I run
a few things before going back to linux. I mostly run in full screen mode
too. When things go bad, I don't get a server cursor anymore and updates
will not happen. I will close the viewer and reconnect and I'm left with a
black screen with no cursor or anything. This has happened to me on a number
of different occasions and settings so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I
do know I have the latest drivers for my 98 machine so I doubt that's the
problem. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them and will try up to the
point of formatting my hd =)

System A (Linux)
Toshiba Notebook
10mbit Linksys card
Linux Mandrake 6.1
S3Virge

System B (win98)
AmdK62/350
10/100 Linksys card
win98(not se)
Voodoo3 3000

Both running latest versions of vnc. (3.3.3 / 3.3.3r2 - right?)

The one thing I'm going to try is connecting via linux, wait till it goes
bad, then connect with another 98 machine to see if it doesn't work. I'll
probably do that tomorrow though, so if anyone has thoughts on this, they
are much appreciated! It's bedtime for me =)

Goodnight!

-joe