List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Building the X Server
From:       Sudhindra Herle <sherle () telecom ! sna ! samsung ! com>
Date:       1998-11-25 19:25:04

Hello gentle folks!

I have been using VNC for a while now and am thankful for a wonderful tool.

I wanted to experiment with different compilers (EGCS, PGCC) and switches in
building the X server on Linux and to my chagrin, found no easy way to do
so. Changing such things seems to be rather difficult.

I thought I did the right thing and found that some files were still being
compiled with the old compiler. When I finally succeeded in building the
XVnc server, it was (sadly) broken. XTerm windows weren't updated correctly,
window-moves were not working at all. Maybe my aggresive optimization (egcc
-O6) broke something. However, the stock compiler (gcc) with default
switches works ok.

Just wanted to share this experience.

I was wondering: how difficult is it to abandon Imake and go towards
autoconf ? If there is anyway I can help, I'd be glad to.

Kind regards.
-Sudhi.

Sudhindra Herle
Wireless Terminals Lab
Samsung Telecommunications America Inc.,
1130 E. Arapaho Road
Richardson TX 75081
Voice: 972-761-7646
Fax: 972-761-7631