List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Re: TOTAL BSOD!
From:       egressor <egressor () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-16 19:40:43

On 11/16/07, Seak, Teng-Fong <lapsap7+vnc@gmail.com> wrote:
>      Have you thought of the possibility that all your problems are
> related?  I said so because 0X0000007B error mostly means a hard disk
> problem.

Well the HD is fine, I just ran chkdsk over night.

>      You see, you said your static IP network died.  I don't know what that
> means exactly!?  Because a network is a set of several machines linked
> together, saying that the network is died would mean all the computers are
> out of order which is quite improbable.  I suppose you actually wanted to
> say that your network *card* died.  But a network card dies is also very
> unlikely.  Most likely reason is a problem of driver, which can be linked to
> hard disk failure.

Well, the network died because there is a bug in Windows XP, that
resets your static IP, in my case in the 10.x.x.x range to 0.0.0.0.
Using something other than 192.168.x.x is asking for problems.

>      And you've talked about Hamachi and some service couldn't be turned
> on.  Couldn't that be another sign of hard disk failure?

No the service was DHCP which had some dependency issues and refused to start.

>      And then the unsuccessful installation lasted hour.... Well, could also
> be a hard disk failure.  As well as your graphic card problem, etc, etc.
>
>      You could always put back the Win CD to run an installation, and in
> some point it would tell you that it finds an old system and asks if you'd
> like to repair it.  Answer yes.
>
>      Sorry, I don't have the direct answer to your question since I don't
> know what reg file you're referring to.
>
>      HTH
>
> PS: Oh, are you sure you've really got an old installation of VNC?  Because
> some virus are using VNC.  It might be that what you've seen is some virus
> which didn't want to be erased from disk.

There is no virus, since I got eset.com excellent NOD32 running on all
boxes, and just to make sure I pulled the C: drive and plugged it into
a clean machine where I scanned it over night.  So, the drive is good,
and it has no viruses.

As for the old install I'm positive.  It seems I was running some
tests with it at one time and forgot to uninstall it.  Also, it was
recognized as such by the new RealVNC install which tried
unsuccessfully for some reason to update it.

Now what I'd really appreciate from you is a complete list of all the
files installed by your software, as well as all the registries
entries it creates.  I will have to remotely edit the registry and try
to bring this box back online if possible without reinstalling
Windows.

So far I have identified a few files that came with it including
vncmirror.sys v1.7.0.0.  Sorry I cannot provide more info as to what
product I installed.  The installer is on the dead box somewhere.

Thank you.