List:       vnc-list
Subject:    best way to automate customer starting / stopping session with
From:       Daniel Goldman <dgoldman () ehdp ! com>
Date:       2007-04-20 16:30:37

I saw some postings on how to write a batch file for:

Customer with a windows PC:
- first, starts vnc server
- then, connects to listening VNC viewer on my windows PC
- finally, stops vnc server

But I didn't see a clear answer. Here's the best I've come up with,
which has some similarities to what I saw in some postings. It works,
with the limited testing I've done on a few PC's. Of course, it assumes
the "Listening VNC Viewer" is set up correctly and running on my PC.

===

1) Customer downloads and installs realvnc, accepting all defaults. (I
have them install server AND viewer in case there is a need to have them
view my server. Cancel setting up the service mode.)

2) Customer downloads two batch files (below) to \XXXX-vnc directory.

3) Customer double-clicks start-vnc-server.bat to make the connection.

4) Customer double-clicks stop-vnc-server.bat to break the connection.

===

What I'm asking - Any suggestions for making this simple but crude
solution better? Any potential glitches I'm overlooking?

Options I rejected - I could combine the two batch files, separated by a
"pause" command. But the customer might press ENTER and stop the server
prematurely. I tried SC and pchelpware, with negative results so far.
Surely something I'm doing wrong, but I found the docs really bad.

Compared with manual - I suppose it's debatable if the two batch files
are really simpler than the customer (by hand) starting the server,
adding a client, and stopping the server. Perhaps a lot of customers
don't know what a "system tray" is. But a lot don't know how to download
a batch file, or double-click on it. At least the customer would not
have to type in XXX.YYY.ZZZ dynamic DNS. Anyone have an opinion which
(batch files or by hand) would be easier? I know it needs to be tested.

Daniel Goldman

******* start-vnc-server.bat:

@echo off
echo .
echo Starting VNC server . . .
echo .
"c:\program files\realvnc\vnc4\winvnc4.exe" -start
echo .
pause
echo .
echo .
echo .
echo Connecting to XXX VNC Listener (XXX.YYY.ZZZ) . . .
echo .
"c:\program files\realvnc\vnc4\winvnc4.exe" -connect XXX.YYY.ZZZ
echo .
echo At this point, please verify by phone that you are connected . . .
echo .
pause

******* stop-vnc.bat:

@echo off
echo .
echo Stopping VNC server . . .
echo .
"c:\program files\realvnc\vnc4\winvnc4.exe" -stop
echo .
pause