List:       vnc-list
Subject:    How to make inetd "wait" mode work in Solaris
From:       "Robbocks" <robbocks () comcast ! net>
Date:       2006-03-23 18:36:16

I am having trouble making Xvnc work with inetd in wait mode on Solaris 2.6.

I can successfully establish a connection, login, run CDE- no problem.
However, in inetd "wait" mode, I should be able to close my VNC Viewer, and
then re-establish the connection and pick up with my CDE session where I
left off.  This is not working for me.

Here is my /etc/inet/services entry:
vnc 5950/tcp Xvnc # VNC

Here is my /etc/inet/inetd.conf entry:
vnc stream tcp wait root /etc/inet/Xvnc.custom

Inetd.conf is limited to 5 command line parameters, so that is why I am
invoking a custom script, because there are more than 5 parameters for Xvnc.
Here is my Xvnc.custom script:

#!/bin/ksh
/usr/local/bin/Xvnc
-inetd
-query localhost
-once
-depth 24 -geometry 1024x768
-auth /.Xauthority
-rfbwait 30000
-rfbauth /.vnc/passwd
-pn
-nolisten named

(The Xvnc command line and parameters are all contained on one line of the
script.)

Is there a way to make the inetd "wait" mode work so that I can disconnect
the viewer, leave the Solaris processes running, and reconnect the viewer
later to pick up where I left off?

Thanks,
Rob