List:       vnc-list
Subject:    RE: VNC security, and can free VNC connect to paid VNC?
From:       Mike Miller <mbmiller () taxa ! epi ! umn ! edu>
Date:       2005-05-27 16:47:43

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Erik Soderquist wrote:

>> To be clear, the VNC viewer that uses encryption is free, but but you
>> cannot use the older viewer.
>
> not according to realvnc's web page:
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/features.html
>
> according to that, the free one does not include encryption

I don't see any information about the viewer on that page.  The viewer for
the Enterprise and Personal editions is freely available.  Just download
the trial version of Enterprise and keep the viewer.  That's what I have
done and I have not paid for it.  I use it with both old and new (free and
paid) versions of the server and it works great.

Go here...

http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

...click "Proceed to Downloads" (you don't have to enter Your Details
everytime).  Note that the first few entries on the next page require
licenses (those are the servers) but the *viewer* do not require licenses.
There are versions for Windows, Solaris 7, HP/UX, and Linux.

I'm not sure of how the Windows Enterprise Edition Viewer differs from the
Windows Personal Edition Viewer.  I would guess that the Enterprise viewer
works for both types of servers, but wouldn't mind hearing from the
development team on that!

Mike