List:       vnc-list
Subject:    Re: Anyway to associate name with IP in server list??
From:       "Stephan A. Edelman" <stephan () newace ! ca>
Date:       2004-05-26 16:16:49

You can use PlanetRemote
(http://www.planetdns.net/client/new/pdnsrem32v116.exe). It includes a
station locator broadcast service that works together with the PlanetRemote
viewer (a VNC compatible viewer that's included) to enumerate PC's on your
network by name.

There are other tools such as VNC Scan (http://www.vncscan.com) that
basically do the same, but it scans local IP ranges for TCP port 5900 usage
and then uses MS Windows RPC services to identify the local computer name at
that IP. The drawback is that it is relatively slow.

The added bonus with the PlanetRemote viewer is that it includes Wake-On-LAN
support so I can just double-click a computer that was previously enumerated
(but now turned off), and it turns on the computer and connects to VNC
automatically (MagicPacket WOL support must be enabled in the BIOS, of
course).

The other nice thing is that PlanetRemote includes a VNC multiplexor plug-in
that allows you to connect to any number of computers that are behind a
router using a single port forwarding arrangement on your router (it uses
TCP Port 6800, and you must connect using a web browser). You don't need to
configure VNC on any of the workstations any differently.

--
Stephan.